Pāto 23 ~ SHELL, Do I or Can I?

6.00 pm. Monday.
Received a call. An unknown number.
Curiosity started to build up. Who might that be.
There was a voice on the other end. A woman.
Caller: Hello, is this ******?.
Me: Yeah, that's me.
Caller: Hello, I'm ****** *** from Shell. I found your resume from JobStreet.com.
Me: Owh, I see.
Caller: Do you want to join Shell Recruitment Day?
Me: Yeah, sure. Why not? (Even though, I didn't have any idea what was that :)
Caller: Okay, if that so. I'll send you an invitation afterward. Is this your email address? ******@yahoo.com.
Me: Yeah, that's right.
Caller: By the way, are you currently working?
Me: Hmmm...yeah, but I'm on a contract. But I could terminate it with a one week notice.
Caller: Ok, that's good. I'll send you an email after this. Be sure to send your complete resume' since your resume' in JobStreet isn't complete.
Me: Yeah, I know, let me send you another one then.
Caller: Okay, thank you. Bye.
Me: Bye.


 A Shell Logo. Motto; Difficult, Yes. Impossible, No. [source]
Time seems to move slowly. I was shocked. Really.
I didn't expect to get that phone call at all.
I didn't expect someone from Shell called me on that particular evening.
Everything seems like a fantasy. Like a dream.

I stared into the emptiness for a while. I sat there, motionless. Mailbox opened. No email, but there it was, in my spam folder. At the top of the list. Mouse button clicked, all inside could be read. All instructions are there. The link and the due date too. 3 Nov 2010. My dateline. To submit the application online. Two days later.

I didn't go straight filled in the application form.
All I did that evening, is to know more about the opportunities they provides.
To know more about the culture, and the environment.
To know more about Shell Recruitment Day (SRD) and to know more about Shell in overall.

There comes a question, that popped into my mind at the time.
"Do I want to work with Shell?"
Hmmm...Work with Shell. It never occurred to me that I want to work with such a big company. It never occurred to me, that I want to work with Shell. It never occurred to me, at all.  

What can I get from Shell? Why should I go there? Is Shell right for me?
These questions kept on popping on my mind, for the rest of the night. It bugged me. After series of self-questioning and encouraging supports from my friends through Facebook. I made up my mind.
"Why don't I try? Cause, It doesn't hurt to try." I said to myself.

Next day, my mind focused on making that resume'. Based on the mail that I got and from their website too. That night, I sat down in front of my computer, filling in the application form. Then, a resume' uploaded and submitted. All burden goes away. For now. But my war isn't over yet. It's just started. It's just the beginning. All that I have to do now is to conquer all relevant information. To prepare for the most anticipated fight. The Interview Session. The fear that I haven't conquer. The fear that I haven't overcome.
How do I feel if I was in that guy place, interviewed by three people at a time. [source]

Well, the damage is done. There is no point of looking back to the past. What important is the future. My future. Soon after I sent the documents, I started to look info on the application process. Fuhh, it was tough and challenging. First the interview, then the SRD. I wonder if I could get it through. Then it occurred to my mind. 
How am I supposed to overcome my nightmare of interview? How am I going to survive the whole day of recruitment assessment? Am I going to prevail in the process? 
All these questions finally lead to this.
Can I get a job in Shell?

Yeah, it sound negative. But its the truth. I felt that way and I still feel it. But, the rewards and benefits of getting that job is tremendous and tempting. So, I don't want to waste my time on negative thoughts. All I have to do now is to do my best. Coz I know, this is my chance of developing myself towards the better future of mine. I know better, because this is my one and only chance to change the rest of my life.

Foot Note: any tips on interview?
syaftome ~ excited and yet so scared

7 de' tour comments:

Jue said...

yup u should go!
gaji nya boleh thn juak
byk budget aih shell ya
kaya la kt kan
and mun ko pat keja sia
once ko out
ley try petronas kah
hohoho

syaftome said...

thanks juel...
for sure i'll go...
its just a matter of fact...
whether i'll get it or not...
so, wish us both luck...hehe...

Coffee Girl said...

u have got to take that offer, even if well... belum confirm apa2 gik nak. hehe. Just bloghopping from sine tek ooo lupak... was it 270 degree view? i think so..

syaftome said...

yalah ya...
nang kmk ngambik opportunity ya...
n im going to do my best to get it...

psst: nasib bait bloghopping jak...
n bukannya blogflying...hahaha...

hani apandi said...

waa..best..congrates oke! :D

syaftome said...

thanks...
wpun its just the beginning...
i'll try my best...

hani apandi said...

insyaALLAH, all the best!

Related Posts with Thumbnails